The Empty Nest Man Workout: It’s All About Focus, Baby, Focus
A key to working out at this point in life is remembering to stretch. STRRRRRETCH. Go ahead and take my advice. I’m not using it.
The closest thing I get to a stretch are a series of kata moves I do prior to working out to get the blood pumping and my legs and arms ready to go. Then it’s time to hit it hard.
You know your body a whole lot better than I do. Do what you gotta do and then get after it.
A typical workday workout for me involves these elements:
- Some type of weightlifting. Heavy day followed by a light day.
- Some type of aerobic–walking or jogging integrated into the weightlifting or biking after lifting.
A typical weekend workout for me involves these elements:
- Walking while doing arm work with lightweight dumbbells
- At least a half hour on a stationary trainer bike
- Swimming when warm enough (although I’ve found rowing a suitable cold-weather substitute)
I try to go at it seven days a week now that I’m trying out #75Hard.