I’m going to assume you didn’t win the lottery yesterday. I’m going to assume that you didn’t see a leprechaun, chase him down, and find his pot of gold yesterday. I’m going to assume that some rich uncle didn’t die and leave you his vast wealth yesterday.
That didn’t happen for me either.
That leaves you and me, friend, with today.
Let’s get after it. On with The Journey…
“Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.”
– Henri Frederic Amiel
Character, then, isn’t what we think it is or, rather, what we want it to be. It isn’t a stable, easily identifiable set of closely related traits, and it only seems that way because of a glitch in the way our brains are organized. Character is more like a bundle of habits and tendencies and interests, loosely bound together and dependent, at certain times, on circumstance and context. The reason that most of us seem to have a consistent character is that most of us are really good at controlling our environment. I have a lot of fun at dinner parties. As a result, I throw a lot of dinner parties and my friends see me there and think that I’m fun. But if I couldn’t have lots of dinner parties, if my friends instead tended to see me in lots of different situations over which I had little or no control –like, say, faced with four hostile youths in a filthy, broken-down subway — they probably wouldn’t think of me as fun anymore.
–Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point
75Hard day 19 today.
- Diet. Zero cheat meals. Zero alcohol. WIN.
Today’s weight: 197.6
- 8 bottles of water (gallon) WIN.
Running total: 2,565 ounces
- 45-minute AM Workout. WIN.
45-minute PM Workout Outside. WIN.
198.1 miles biked | 33.59 miles walked/jogged/ran | 5,978 weight reps
- Read 10 pages of a non-fiction entrepreneur or improvement book. WIN.
Tipping Point Finished this morning. Excellent read. Highly recommended. The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo is on the docket to begin tomorrow.
- Progress picture every day. WIN.
Here ya go:
Listening to and reporting on the talk inside of my head:
Wrath. Goddamnit! Why won’t you fucking work like I expect you to fucking work?! (Yeah, that’s me. Screaming at my computer, specifically WordPress this morning as I type this shit.) It’s about as intuitive as a turd that doesn’t stink sometimes. And I wonder, where the hell is all this anger coming from? And why is it directed at an inanimate object? Can I project that out in my workouts? Dear God, don’t let me direct it to another human being. I’ll either get fired, get my ass kicked, or shot.
SELF-SUGGESTION: THIS IS WHERE I’M GOING. WHERE IS THE PROOF OF PROGRESS TOWARD THAT GOAL TODAY? This is where the rubber hits the road, team. This is the good stuff. These are the end goals. This is what it’s all about.
- I am a man after God’s own heart.
- I am a world-class athlete.
- I drive a world-class $100M publishing business.
- I help drive the company I work for to $100M.
- emptynestman.com is the marketing machine that drives the $100M publishing company.
- I am the best man, father, and grandfather I can be.
- I am one bad-ass motherfucker.
The LADDER TO THE TOP 7 to complete TODAY. Get out of the comfort zone:
- Continue listening to Esther on the morning bike ride. Made it to Job 6. We’ll begin there in the morning. WIN.
- Work my ass off with both the AM and the PM workout. WIN.
- Write on the current book. (Current word count: 5,180). First draft completed. First round of editing. WIN.
Second marketing program for ENXP finished last night. Here are the results:
143 Pages Read | 2 Sales | 123 Copies Given Away | 108 new subscribers to ENM. After two weeks of this type of marketing, here are the overall results:
143 Pages Read | 7 Sales | 202 Copies Given Away | 187 new subscribers to ENM.
This program was a success. This weekend something similar will be ran.
- Pray to God that the concepts and programs we’re implementing going into the coming year will work. WIN.
- Publish the curated articles. Continue to cultivate Twitter followers. WIN.
- Pray to God that I will rise up and be the best man, father, and grandfather I can be. WIN.
- Pray to God that I will be bad-ass. It’s time for a MFCEO episode this morning as I continue to round out my bad-ass education. REAL AF is caught up at this point. WIN.
The LADDER TO THE TOP 7 was completed today. Today is a WIN.
THIS IS THE REALITY: 1,805 days until my journey is complete. Will I make it?
Here we go…
We’re live on Instagram now. Look for these hastags: #enm, #emptynestman, #ogceo